I never thought I would write this post so early in my journey as a mom. But because there’s a fresh debate on sex-selective abortion in UK, I am beginning to ponder what it means to be a girl and how should I raise my daughter in a world where even now women are considered as weaker sex and a liability of sorts.
Abortion is a contentious and divisive issue however as a feminist it mortifies me that even at this age and date we live in a society where girls are not even given a chance to live and are killed before life itself solely because of their gender. This blog very succinctly explains the whole dilemma with sex-selective abortions in UK.
Many in the UK are scared to openly discuss about this issue for the fear of seeming like a racist. I firmly don’t think it is a race or culture issue, female feticide is oppression of the worst kind and it transcends the boundary of race and culture. Coming back to my dilemma; here are few things I wish to tell my daughter in the hope that she doesn’t feel like an unwelcome gender.
- Never underestimate yourself. Throughout life self doubt may plague you but do not underestimate yourself.
- To quote Aibileen Clark (from The Help), “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.”
- Life will get you down sometimes. Get up, breathe and move on.
- Be a feminist. They are not man-haters or people-haters as they say. Be a feminist, wear the damn high heels, that lipstick, that awesome dress but do it for yourself not for anyone else.
- People would always try to put you in a box. You don’t have to be in a box you are a person not someone’s pet.
- Travel. It is the best education you will ever get.
- Mix with people from all races and backgrounds. Each one will teach you something.
- Never be afraid to use your voice.
- Always be yourself.
- Take pride in your gender. Men and women are different only biologically. Don’t let social differences shape you.
- Read. Move. Dance. Love.
- Make mistakes. It’s okay, that’s how you learn.
- Learn one sport.
- Never shrink yourself; never make yourself smaller.
- You are second to none.
- You matter. Every Girl Matters.
Hope you enjoyed this post. Have a great mid week. Do show me your love with your likes and comments and don’t forget to follow me. 🙂