“Women who wear black live colourful lives.” — Neiman Marcus
Ever since mademoiselle Chanel fashioned the little black dress, it has been one of the most coveted style by fashion lovers, style mavericks, trend setters and trend seekers. And why not? It is one dress with many avatars and can be dressed in zillion different ways. I have had a love-hate relationship with the LBD; there have been times when I have absolutely hearted this style and also times when I’ve found it extremely boring (yes, you read it right). But one thing I can vouch is that the LBD can be quickly dressed up or dressed down.
Here, I’ve gone for the dressed down version. We were enjoying a sunny day at Henley-on-Thames and I wanted something chic, easy, stylish yet practical. Enter a LBD in crisp cotton with laser cut details. A swinging, full-skirt gives it a decidedly fun vibe. Perfect when you are out and about.
The LBD is also perhaps one of the most forgiving style as it can suit any body type. So what are my top tips for styling the LBD for different body types?
- If you are pear shaped, go for pencil style LBD, as it can elongate your your legs and enhance your curves
- If you are an hourglass, then go for A-line, full skirt with fitted bodice
- If you are petite, go for a sheath style which sits right above the knee, as it can make you look taller
- If you are apple shaped or fuller figured then go for wrap style as it can give you a waist and compliment your killer curves (bonus points if you go for materials like lace)
- Finally, if you are boyish shaped then a slip style or flapper style would give you an illusion of curves
Dress: Gap (sold out but like this one), Accessories: Gifted, Bag: My own design, Shoes: BHS
To keep the practical and chic theme on, I’ve accessorised this dress with dull gold accessories with pops of blue, gold ballerinas and a cross body bag. So, I hope the next time you see a LBD you don’t feel daunted and that my little tips would help you rock it with style.
Hope you enjoyed this post, thanks for reading. Have a great Friday & weekend and don’t forget to follow me.